Wednesday, March 13, 2013

If you give a mouse a cookie....

We have all (or most of us) have read or been read the story of "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie."  Very cute book, kids of all ages love it and it pops into your head whenever you have anything following in that pattern.  Well yesterday, Tuesday, certainly qualified as my own version.  As my sister put it, "If You Give Jacci Some Groceries."  I had gotten the older kids on the bus and then headed out to run a few errands, one of which was grocery shopping.  I don't dislike grocery shopping in general, in fact I absolutely love to shop when I am using my coupons but that is another post entirely!  Anyway, this shop was to refresh our groceries, I didn't need a whole lot but I needed enough.  Also, March is frozen food month at our grocery store so the weekly deals are not easy to pass up.  I decided to take advantage of some and got over $35.00 worth of frozen goodies for only $11 bucks!  Woohoo. 

Back to my original thought for this post, I got home from shopping and unloaded the car.  As I began putting away the groceries, I realized that the pantry was a mess and full of mostly empty boxes of crackers, loaves of bread with only the ends left, etc.  It needed a good cleaning out.  So I promptly began to pitch what I could and reorganized the whole closet!  Wow, it looked amazing.
I then proceeded to put the frozen groceries in the chest freezer in the garage.  Back in November we bought half a cow so this freezer is very well stocked but I knew that if it was reorganized, I would easily fit my new groceries in as well as know what was left from the cow in there.  So I began....I emptied the ENTIRE freezer into bags on the garage floor and took inventory then reorganized everything into the freezer.  Everything fit perfectly, is easily accessible and overall looks great!  Feeling already productive and a bit tired, I turned to go back inside and tripped over a box of Christmas stuff for the third time!!  I was already on a roll so I figured why not, I put everything away in the correct Christmas boxes and then proceeded to organize all the Christmas stuff back into its appropriate corning of the garage.  Of course after this was done, that corner (which is right next to the freezer) look awesome and everything was in its place and organized.  Yes, I had done a good job.  Only one problem....the other 3 corners of the garage looked like a bomb had gone off and the middle was certainly no better.  There was just enough space clear to fit in Joe's car and then the rest was cluttered with, well crap!  There were bikes everywhere...some of which were too small or broken, basketballs and lacrosse sticks everywhere and box after box of random stuff we have accumulated of the years.  There was no time like the present to get this cleaned up too!  Trash is on Thursday which meant I had two days to get anything I wanted to throw out in the garage into bags for Thursday morning.  Well, I have six 30 gallon trash bags crammed full and 3 boxes of stuff all for the trash man!  I had to finish the second half of the garage today because it is still very cold outside and even in the garage with the door shut, it gets quite chilly.  Today at 5:07pm I had finished the garage!  It looks amazing, I have a HUGE trash pile, a fairly comparable goodwill pile and even a kid to kid pile!  Talk about being on a high!

Thankfully I have not lost this feeling of de-cluttering or reorganizing because these last two days have prompted a new list for tomorrow! 

Cluttered closets beware, I am on a mission!

No comments:

Post a Comment