Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Spring Break

I remember growing up how much we looked forward to Spring Break (or any school break for that matter) to be able to lay around and do nothing, no alarm clocks or tests, it was perfect.  So who would think that there one day be a time when you, the spring break lover, would dread that very same break!?!?! Well, it happened.

 Not that having a break from the everyday schedule that comes with school and having two kids to get on the bus and another two to keep from destroying the house isn't nice, but it is more work and stress then it is worth!  To start it off, Darling hates missing school. She dislikes Fridays because the weekend follows it, having in-service days bum her out and god forbid there be a snow day!  Boy, she gets upset over 2 hour delays!!  So the idea of having a 5 day weekend didn't thrill her. Task #1 for break...plan something fun for Darling.

 Another thing about a school break is that I now have to prepare lunch for all 4 kids....no big deal except no one EVER agrees on lunch so I am usually making multiple choices to avoid a battle.  (I pick my battles, lunch choices isn't one worth fighting!) Then comes the issue of schedules....poof, their gone!  Sleeping in is nice, but only one of the four ever do that, breakfast is served sometime between 7:30 and 9:30 depending on when kids suddenly realize they are hungry. Usually J takes a nice morning nap and then a good long afternoon snooze but apparently on spring break that doesn't happen.  Yesterday alone, I tried to nap him 6 different times with success once!  Ugh!  Talk about a cranky child.  

Thankfully to keep my sanity and that of my little ones, we took a trip to Slinky Action Zone on Monday.  The kids were so excited about going that Saturday and Sunday weren't filled with the boredom that loomed over our house, waiting for a time to strike.  Monday morning was filled with LOTS of giggles and anxious kids until we got in the car to go.  We went with our neighbors across the street (an awesome friend of mine) who have five kids of their own.  Yes, I said five.  Best part about our large families going together....WE GOT THE GROUP RATE!!!  Woohoo!  The three hours we spent there were fun filled and tiring!  Everyone had so much fun and wore out all their energy!  The car ride home was filled with three sleeping children and one reading her new book!  Pure Bliss....

Then Tuesday comes around.... I think the kids were hoping/expecting me to have some magical adventure planned, they were WRONG!  We needed to do a lot of house work!  My to-do list was a mile long and the kids had their own list.  I told them after breakfast they needed to each clean their room and then collectively clean the basement.  After several minutes of attempted arguing/deal-making, the kids retreated to the rooms to begin on there chores.  I am positive that if they knew how to curse, I would have been hearing quite a lot coming from those bedrooms.  You would have thought I told them they had to clean every house in the neighborhood!!  Seriously.  After they finished their rooms (which took 20 mins by the way!) they then huffed and puffed their way to the basement.  I overheard some arguing down there but otherwise they were busy cleaning.  When it was time for me to check to see if they were done it was 8:53 AM.  Yes, they had completed all their cleaning before 9 AM and had ALL DAY to play and relax.  Once I told them they were done and could do whatever they wanted, suddenly I wasn't such an wicked witch.  Huh, funny how that happens!

So that brings me to today, the final day of break.  We were suppose to get snow, everywhere south of us got a lot, 2-12 inches.  We were in the 2-6 inch range according to the weather people.  Guess what...we got nothing, not a flurry.  Normally this would excite me beyond belief....especially in March (I HATE THE COLD) but no, today I really could have used 4-6 inches of snow.  At least the kids could have built snowmen and played in the backyard.  It would have kept the occupied for free but no, that would have been too convenient.  Instead I am left to come up with some fun ideas to keep these four little Bergies happy.....we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment