Saturday, March 30, 2013

Date Night

Last night my parents came over to watch the kids so that Joe and I could go out for a little while.  I love these times, it is so nice to be able to catch up with my husband without the never-ending "Mommy" yells that are guaranteed to interrupt or to be able to sit and enjoy food that I didn't cook and use dishes that I don't have to clean!  We have begun going to a restaurant called Fuji Jade Gardens that has a very well stocked bar (essential to date night ;)) hibachi, full Japanese menu, full Chinese menu and tons of sushi to try.  Both Joe and I have really enjoyed trying new foods, and simply experimenting with things that we never have had or thought we would ever eat.  It has been fun!  Last night was no exception.  One of our friends was there, he is a regular there, convinced us to try some Sashimi.  For those of you who may not know the difference between Sushi and Sashimi, the sashimi is served as raw fish with no rice.  I am not talking about the little sliver of raw fish that is in most sushi but rather a slice of raw filet served on a plate with wasabi and ginger!

As someone who grew up eating NO seafood because my mom wasn't a fan, this was a real test.  Since I met Joe, I have tasted and come to love several types of seafood but there is still a hurdle to jump when it comes to raw fish or raw meat of any kind.  I have enjoyed trying different kinds of sushi and that was a huge step forward but last night when we were asked to try Sashimi, I really wasn't sure.  I didn't want to look like an idiot or a baby for not trying it so I figured why not.  Worst comes to worst, I hate it and don't eat any more.  We had raw Salmon, Tuna and Yellowtail and Smoked Salmon (which I've had before).  Much to my surprise I actually enjoyed it!  I took a bite of each one plain and then tried the rest of the piece with soy sauce.  I figured this way I could test and get a true taste for it before I drowned it in salt!  I was not a fan of the Yellowtail, actually almost gagged at one point.  Not because of the flavor but rather the texture of that piece was just a bit much.  The salmon and tuna were definitely my favorite. 

I am not sure that I would order more then a piece or two at any given time but I was very proud of myself for trying it and even more excited that I had widened my views on seafood! 

I look forward to trying more fun food at Fuji and other places but most of all, I look forward to the next date night with my best friend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment